22 July 2010

Cocktails at the Burn Pit -- Wow, I Coulda Had a Veggie Beer


V-8 the tomato/vegetable juice had a longtime slogan, "Wow, I coulda had a V-8." This slogan was meant to remind you that when you were looking for a late afternoon snack, you could have a V-8. I was never thrilled with this advertising ploy as I could never envision an occasion when I would think, after munching on say a Snickers or a cupcake or some Cheetos, "Wow, I coulda had a V-8."

Recently, V-8 changed course to capitalize on our need to ingest 5 fruits and vegetable a day. Their new pitch is simple: 1 V-8 = 3 serving of vegetables. I was skeptical as it smacks a bit of the time our government suggested that serving kids ketchup was a legitimate vegetable choice. Still, two V-8 and you are covered for the day. (I am in no way a trained nutritionist, but I can safely say, don't try this at home.)

I must admit, I bought into the campaign. On a trip to a big box store, I got lost and ventured down the "drinks" isle, (an isle I never visit). I came upon a case of V-8 and wrestled it into my cart. When I got it into the house I thought, "Wow, I coulda bought a case of Tab." So my 72 serving of vegetables sat around for a while.

One particularly sweltering day, after hours in the garden, I headed off to the burn pit. But what to drink? Then it hit me, "Wow, I could have a V-8." If I mixed that V-8 with beer, I would have beer AND 3 servings of vegetables. Throw in some Sriracha and chopped basil and "Wow, I had a Veggie Beer."

Veggie Beer

1 12 ounce ice cold beer
1 12 ounce ice cold can V-8
1 teaspoon Sriracha
1 teaspoon chopped basil + a sprig for garnish
Sea salt
Ground pepper

Pour V-8 into a small pitcher. Stir the Sriracha and chopped basil into the V-8. Slowly pour in the beer, stirring slightly to incorporate the ingredients. Pour into a tall glass, sprinkle with sea salt and ground pepper. Accent with a bit of basil.

Now you are ready to head off to the burn pit, but remember, you must drink 2 Veggie Beers to insure your 3 vegetable servings.

3 comments:

  1. that sounds surprisingly good. I love v-8 -but make sure you get the low sodium kind. Otherwise you're getting like 200% of your daily sodium intake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this could really catch on, I 'll have mine on the porch. pgt

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin