04 December 2010

Let's Talk About Chicks, Man

My friend Ann decided to give me chicks for Christmas. They are, indeed, the gift that keeps on giving.
Sandi is raising them up till they are a bit bigger because I keep my house really cold and I have cats. While they live quite peacefully with the chickens, I must admit these little one look like tiny morsels of goodness that no self respecting feline could resist.

The yellow chick to the left is an interloper and not a member of the Doe Run Farm collective, but that's OK. These 20 chicks will start laying in the spring and Ann and about a dozen other friends will reap their yolky goodness for years to come.

In this season of giving, I would like to put in a word for one of my favorite charities, Heifer International. For a donation of $20, you can give a family a flock of chicks. To give you a bit of perspective, in Tanzania, families survive on 50 cents a day. One $20 flock of chicks can raise that family's income to $2 a day. Think about that when you pass a Starbucks.

If you are looking for a gift-giving opportunity for that person that has EVERYTHING, think about giving a flock of chicks in their name.

1 comment:

  1. Aren't they the most adorable little things (well, after kittens that is). Have you ever seen the I Love Lucy episode when Lucy and Ethel try to raise chickens? It's one from the later seasons when they had moved to Connecticut? Your chicks reminded me of that, lol.

    Kevin

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin