14 May 2012

Countess de Castiglione and the Joy of the Blog

As I have stated before, I love blogs.  I love them because they connect you to people who share your obscure interests.  Before blogs, one simply suffered in silence when they found themselves with no one to talk to about say...Countess de Castiglione.  Now, one finds a loyal band of like-minded folk across the globe.

No matter how much one might think they know on a subject, there is always someone out there who knows more, or who has a different take on the info at hand.  The added plus is being able to link your readers right up to their posts, eliminating your own redundant research.  (That was the Huffington Post joke at the Correspondents Dinner -- That she won the first Pulitzer Prize for linking.)  I, too, love thought of an exponential expanding of a collective knowledge...but I digress...

Over at Cookbook Of The Day, I offer up short reviews and recipes from some the the thousands of cookbooks I own.  They are short and sweet; a mini Cliff Note on the cookbook at hand.  I love cookbooks and culinary history and books in general.

One of my favorite books is La Divine Comtesse: Photographs of the Countess de Castiglione by Pierre Apraxine and Xavier Demange, which features nearly 400 images of the Countess de Castiglione.



Recently, I stumbled across the blog lostpastremembered, another lover of the obscure and the culinary. (Of course, now everyone is going to ask why I had not been reading it before "recently"!) 

Unlike my Cliff Note cookbooks, lostpastremembered offers up a virtual dissertation of fun facts and recipes including this recent post on Countess Castiglione, Masion Dorée and Chicken Bordelaise.  It was such a zippy post I thought my head might explode. 

Thankfully it did not.   


If you haven't bookmarked this lovely blog, do so now.  You won't regret it.
















1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for your kind words... Lostpastremembered is a labor of love.

    I think we are drowning in flying facts that we can't relate to. Many people find history boring because of it. Making a small attempt at staking a few elements to the ground so that people get a better idea of what was going on (and a taste, of course), lets you relate to the times and the people a little better... at least that's what I think.

    Again, thanks and love finding a kindred spirit.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin